Biological membranes are fascinating structures that participate in virtually every biological process. We are interested in a wide range of physical processes involving cellular membranes, such as membrane reshaping, cutting, trafficking, sensing, and membrane-mediated assembly.
Recently we have proposed a model of how ESCRT-III filaments remodel cell membranes into a variety of different shapes by actively changing their geometry. Currently we are studying the role of these filaments in cell division, as well as their active assembly and disassembly. We are also investigating in how membrane mechanosensitive channels cooperatively sense mechanical forces and convert mechanical signals into chemical, and how membrane heterogeneity influences membrane-mediated processes. In our prior work we have shown how viruses or nanoparticles can self-assemble into a variety of beautiful patterns when adhering to biological membranes and induce long tubular protrusions in the membrane, which is a novel route for entry into cell membranes.
- L. Harker-Kirschneck, B. Baum*, A. Šarić*, Transitions in filament geometry drive ESCRT-III-mediated membrane remodelling and fission, bioRxiv 559898 (2019).
- A. Paraschiv, S. Hegde, R. Ganti, T. Pilizota, A. Šarić*, Dynamic clustering regulates activity of mechanosensitive membrane channels, bioRxiv 553248 (2019).
- T. Curk, P. Wirnsberger, J. Dobnikar, D. Frenkel, A. Šarić*, Controlling cargo trafficking in multicomponent membranes, Nano Letters18, 5350 (2018). (On the cover.)
- M. Šimunović, A. Šarić, M. Henderson, K. Y. C. Lee and G. A. Voth, Long-range patterns of membrane-curving proteins, ACS Cent. Sci. 3, 1246 (2017).
- S. C. J. Helle, Q. Feng, M. J. Aebersold, L. Hirt, R. R. Grüter, A. Vahid, A. Sirianni, S. Mostowy, J. G. Snedeker, A. Šarić, T. Idema, T. Zambelli and B. Kornmann, Mechanical force induces mitochondrial fission. eLife 6, e30292 (2017).
- A. Vahid, A. Šarić, and T. Idema, Curvature variation controls particle aggregation on fluid vesicles. Soft Matter 13, 4924 (2017).
- C. van der Wel, A. Vahid, A. Šarić, T. Idema, D. Heinrich and D. J. Kraft, Lipid membrane-mediated attraction between curvature inducing object, Scientific Reports 6, 32825 (2016).
- S. J. Bachmann, J. Kotar, L. Parolini, A. Šarić, P. Cicuta, L. Di Michele and B. M. Mognetti, Melting transition in lipid vesicles functionalised by mobile DNA linkers, Soft Matter 12, 7804 (2016).
- A. Šarić and A. Cacciuto. Self-assembly of nanoparticles adsorbed on fluid and elastic membranes. Soft Matter 9, 6677 (2013). (Review article.)
- A. Šarić and A. Cacciuto. Mechanism of membrane tube formation induced by adhering nanocomponents. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 188101 (2012). (Cover paper of the weekly issue. Highlighted in Physics Synopsis.)
- A. Šarić and A. Cacciuto. Fluid membranes can drive linear aggregation of adsorbed spherical nanoparticles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 118101 (2012). (Editor’s suggestion.)